Erin Devine, benefits specialist at CBG Benefits, is one of Employee Benefit Advisers 2014 Rising Stars in Advising. She shared three tips for young advisers in the field, like other Rising Stars have done throughout the month. The Woburn, Mass.-based adviser says shes noticed younger advisers leading with technology discussions at networking events, rather than insurance. Stay tuned to EBA for more on Devine and our other nine Rising Stars.
1. Keep educating. You must stay current in regards to regulations that impact the industry, Devine says. Things are changing quickly; if a client gets the feeling that you are behind, they will quickly move on to an adviser or broker that is committed to staying up to date and educating them.
2. Be confident in your abilities. In this industry, there will always be people with more years and experience than you. And yes, you will have to pay your dues, but you cannot let that hold you back from getting out there yourself. You have to meet people and create your own prospecting opportunities, she says. You have to set up meetings where youre going to take the lead in presenting your companys capabilities. Yes, you may have some bumps in the road at first youre going to hear questions from prospects that you cant answer. But learning how to deal with those situations will enable you to improve quickly. You must believe in yourself and the value that you can deliver.
3. Embrace change but dont discount fundamentals. While new insurance options and technology channels are exciting, you must never forget that in the end, your client only cares about solutions that will truly achieve their goals, she says. Thus, while its important to understand private exchanges, health savings accounts, etc., never forget the core fundamentals and value propositions that exist in this industry. If what youre offering can connect with those, then youll be able to succeed.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Employee Benefit Adviser content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access